Monday, September 14, 2009

The Importance of Restful Sleep

Hello folks,
It may seem obvious, it certainly did to me, but getting a good night sleep is crucial for living a healthy and productive life. I have always been a person who is very structured about my sleep habits. Looking back, my main focus to sleep was on quantity...when quality is really equally important. It wasn't until my wife had told me a thousand times that I was snoring (terribly) that I finally looked into the quality of my sleep.

A couple of weeks ago, I attended an overnight sleep study. Long story, short: I have a very severe, even potentially life threatening, case of sleep apnea. The good news is that it is treatable with a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure)machine that I can wear at night. Basically the machine continuously pushes oxygen through my airways to make sure that the airways do not collapse (the source of both snoring and oxygen deprivation). I started the machine last week and already feel better...as does my wife.

For me, it is just another reminder of how easy it can be to take your health for granted. Make sure you listen to your loved ones if you are being told you are snoring very badly. That snoring could be more than a tremendous annoyance for you and your partner...it could be a sign that your body is not getting the oxygen it needs!

I am now focusing on getting my body back to 100%. This means that I have decided to stop playing football this season and focus on more cardiovascular exercise and weight loss. Make sure you take the time to take care of yourself as well!

Sincerely,
Frederick